How to install laminate on stairs?
You can easily cover your stairs with Quick-Step laminate using the right profiles.
The right solution
There are different solutions when it comes to installing laminate on stairs:
- Quick-Step Stair Covers for Classic and Eligna
The stair covers are designed for closed stairs with risers, with a maximum width of 1150 mm (Classic) or 1330 mm (Eligna).
- Quick-Step Incizo profile and the Incizo aluminium base profile
The only condition is that the steps of your staircase must be straight and not rounded.
Installing laminate Stair Covers on your stairs
Follow these steps for installing the Stair Covers to give your stairs the luxurious appeal of a beautiful Eligna or Classic floor.
- Start by repairing any damage and make sure that the surface area of your stairs is perfectly clean and level.
- Measure the distance between the front of the Stair Cover and the below riser. < 46 mm: plank won't fit behind the Stair Cover. The bullnose must be enlarged or the Stair Cover adjusted to fit the floor plank for the riser and fully support the Stair Cover. ≥ 46 mm: check if you need to click an additional plank onto the bottom side of the Stair Cover to obtain a clean finish. Tape these two parts together on the backside and/or apply wood glue in the click profile.
- Measure the step. Click the Stair Cover and planks together and cut to size.
- Measure the riser. You can leave the groove on and saw to the height of the riser minus minimum 2mm. The step below can then be pushed under the riser by gently sliding it upwards.
- Gluing: always perform a dry fit before gluing the stair. Start from the top of the stairs. Apply glue in a wavy motion and make sure enough glue is applied. Attach each floor panel to the corresponding vertical side of each step, with the groove downwards.
- Glue down the riser, then the stair cover and repeat. Adjust the position of the riser. If the floor on the upper level is installed floating, make sure you use an Incizo between the glued down upper Stair Cover and the floating floor.
Try to avoid walking on it for 24 hours to ensure the drying time of our Quick-Step One4All Glue.
Attention: this is a step by step for a full colour-matched staircase. If you want pained risers you only need to follow the steps regarding the stair covers.
Installing laminate profiles on your stairs
Another way to cover your stairs with Quick-Step Laminate is using the Quick-Step Incizo profile and the aluminium base profile. The only condition is that the steps of your staircase must be straight and not rounded.
Here's how it works:
- Glue and screw the aluminium base profile on the step nose.
- Glue a cut to size laminate panel with Quick-Step One4Allglue to the riser. Use spacers to ensure that sufficient space is left underneath to fit in the laminate of the step.
- Apply glue to the base profile and the step. Spread out the glue across the base profile.
- Place a laminate plank on the step with the underside of the tongue against the edge of the front of the base.
- If present, push the associated plastic strip (white, blue or black) on the tongue of the plank.
- Apply glue to both sides of the base profile.
- Press the Incizo profile onto the base profile.
After 24 hours of drying you can use your stairs.